Woodbridge Warriors 35 v Beccles 0

woodbridge-are-too-strong-for-beccles-eadt-20_12_16-resizedBeccles started impatiently, no doubt keen to avenge the September home loss, forcing Warrior No8 Jono Cooke to defend, clearing out for a line-out. Woodbridge stayed in the Beccles half of the pitch running off the set piece with forwards Dan Taylor and Ed Banthorp putting in repeated drives rallied by Simon Codd. Another penalty for offside and Jack Johnson slotted three points.

Beccles conceded another penalty to give the Warrior 10, JP Hart, an opportunity for territory which he missed, Beccles full back Stuart Armstrong running the ball back. Some hard rucking saw Woodbridge get the upper hand, Tim Johnson boisterously bashing through and Nick Woodley predatory in the loose. A grubber kick lead to the first scrum where the larger Beccles pack; Tris Holzer, Russell Arnold and Stuart Adams with the tallest man on the pitch, lock Paul Wilson, failed to stop the Warriors attacking. Woodbridge put in a dozen phases of attack but the Beccles defence held, Keith Johnstone, Robert Hall and John Walker notable amongst a team-wide effort which also benefitted from some poor Woodbridge rucking. The visitors had a brief moment of respite and put in a strong maul from a line-out but the break faltered and Woodbridge countered through Hart, Capt Tom Stokes, centre Josh Thomas and Johnson. Play remained in Beccles half as the hosts swung left and right – forwards rutted and swift backs probed the wide channels. Beleaguered Beccles held on, tackle after thumping tackle, as Stokes, Adam Plummer, Aldis Salavejs and Cooke came close. Inexorably a blind side move from a scrum and lightening quick passing saw Simon Ward score and bring the Warrior first half haul to 10 points from virtually 100% territory.

Woodbridge tails stayed up, chasing the kicks and charging down clearances but Beccles used the boot to push the hosts back. Cooke broke from a ruck and looked dangerous but Beccles were defending further up field. Hart chased his own kick, tackled the receiver and set up another attacking breakdown from which Johnson kicked another three points. Five minutes later and a break from Cooke yielded another penalty and Johnson punished with his third three pointer. Beccles challenged the Woodbridge 22 again but suffered repeated penalties that frustrated and put them on the back foot. Woodbridge attacked on the left up to the 5m line and switched quickly to the unlikely right winger, No8 Cooke, who lurched over the line.

Continued forays by a resolute Beccles through the energetic Matt Goode at 10, hard-working scrum half Sam Puxley and left wing Ollie Larkworthy put them into the Woodbridge 22. They came close to scoring when their forwards battered the Woodbridge defence for five minutes. Taff Lloyd put in a bone-shaking tackle midfield and eventually the Warriors cleared. The well-refreshed home crowd sensed the Warrior backs were finding some space when Johnson first made a 30m break before a misdirected quick throw in from Cameron Bonner saw Josh Thomas sprint 40m to score. Moments later a text book move to ship the ball wide saw Thomas score again, converted by Johnson to bring his points haul to 15.

Woodbridge Warriors 35 v Beccles 0

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *