Warriors 48 v Wisbech 12

warriors-run-riot-on-way-to-big-win-eadt-8_11_16-resizedFresh from their win against Ipswich YM last weekend, third placed Woodbridge started energetically against sixth placed Wisbech. It started well for the Warriors. A scrum from the kick off saw the ball moved quickly out to fly-half JP Hart who broke through a few lacklustre tackles to score within minutes.

The restart brought more pressure for the visitors who looked unsettled as No 8 Jono Cooke picked and drove up-field forcing hard tackles from Wisbech, especially flankers Martin Day and Nathan Goodale. A Woodbridge scrum under the Wisbech posts forced clearance from No 10 Jack Malkin but, aside from a promising dash from right wing Patrick James, the Warriors looked a tight unit and countered robustly – forcing rushed defence which reduced Wisbech to 14 men and gave Jamie Smith three penalty points.

Cooke resumed the attack with Tony Moseley at his side, forcing the visitors back into their half after they missed a penalty touch. The Warriors clearly enjoyed the space and it wasn’t long before Neil Scopes thundered over against patchy opposition. Bobby Armour was the next Woodbridge forward to challenge his opposite numbers, he and Nick Woodley marauding up the pitch as Wisbech struggled to keep any possession. Hart bombed the visitors 22 and the chase gave them another attacking platform when the full back failed to release. Several scrums saw some impressive defence from tall Solomon Prestige the Wisbech Captain at No8 and his pack but after a protracted shift it was Warrior centre Josh Thomas who broke the try line. After such one-sided conflict it was refreshing to see Wisbech lift their game, first Raimondas Vinksna led the assault over half way with a stampede down the left wing joined by sparkling Dave Brodie at scrum half. Later it was the Wisbech forwards that camped in the home 22, winning a penalty and then mauling over from the line-out, no7 Goodale the scorer.

The Warriors rekindled the attack from the restart, benefitted from some handling errors and rucking hard behind, Cooke lively from the back of the scrum. Iffy Wisbech tackling attracted another yellow card and a failed penalty attempt from Smith before Simon Ward broke the line, offloaded to the perky front row forward Moseley who brought a loud cheer as he thundered 20 metres before setting Hart up for the bonus point try.

Play stayed in the Wisbech half as they absorbed relentless pressure from a well-synchronised Woodbridge enjoying their favoured style of open play. Cooke, Woodley, Herb Parsley, Armour and Tim Johnson took it turns to run at their opponents but it was swift Jack Johnson that helped a flying Nick Woodley take the next score with a line-breaking run and offload under pressure.

Yet again in the last quarter of the half Wisbech came alive using a scrum platform to launch their large forwards at the Warrior whitewash over which prop Sigitas Ciakas dived at full stretch to score.

Reduced to 14 men again Wisbech battled on but the last five minutes saw Hart score his second of the match thanks to the try-maker Jack Johnson who, moments later, intercepted to scamper 70 metres and polish a deserved Woodbridge victory.


Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *