Warriors 42 v Southwold 32 Cup

Eastern Counties Suffolk Chadacre Cup Round 1 – 2017/18

Woodbridge Warriors 42 v Southwold 32 after extra time

Top of the league Southwold faced mid-table Woodbridge. The match started with Southwold conceding penalties and allowing the Warriors too much space. Repeated infringements allowed Clogg to take 3 points as the home team attacked repeatedly. ‘Wold scrum half Chippy Middleditch had to box kick a couple of clearances and centre Cemil Duruk put in some hard tackles as the Warriors started to get penalised allowing Middleditch to kick a penalty. Woodbridge renewed the attack, moving lineout ball quickly cross field for Clogg to be denied wide before a penalty saw No 8 Aldis Salavejs charge twice and Bowman score. Southwold was straight back into the home 22 exploiting poor handling and winning a penalty from which lock Tim O’Connell scored. Wold stole a line out and played several phases in the Woodbridge 22 forcing some well organised defence from Salavejs who nicked the ball and ran 50m with Tim Johnson. With the pressure on them Southwold conceded another 3 points to Clogg and then a further three penalties giving the Warriors an attacking position from which Jeff Buchanan combined with Felix Kibble on the right wing to score.
The league leaders attacked from the restart straight down mid field forcing penalties and kicking to the corner. A crooked throw and poor Woodbridge scrum yielded a quick tap and flanker Sherrard Block scored under the posts. Salavejs chased down the starting kick and the Warriors attacked first wide on the left and then centrally through hooker Luke Norman. A rapid move from wing to wing saw Salavejs score after fine carries by Bowman and Norman. Southwold wasn’t having any of it and rallied; No8 James Hall battled up field where Duruk punched a hole for Middleditch to set up wing James Barton to touch down. In an end-to-end match it was Woodbridge’s turn to camp in the opposition 22 coming close but Clogg missed a penalty attempt. Both sides struggled to take advantage in this evenly matched tussle as Middleditch missed a penalty kick as Woodbridge sucked up more pressure eventually giving him the chance to level the score 25-25 at full time.
Extra time started with Southwold kicking a penalty to touch and mauling to the line where a penalty try was awarded for collapsing. The crowd got noisily behind the Warriors as they chased and turned over the restart to drive Bowman over and score, Clogg succeeding with the difficult conversion. Moments later they were at it again, Kibble taking a clearance kick then quick hands before scrum half Adam Plummer found Hart who ran 25m to score, Clogg nailing another difficult conversion.
The last ten minutes saw Woodbridge continuing to pressurise; Clogg taking another three points. Southwold came close when Jonny Walker knocked on at the try line but Woodbridge held out to progress to the next round and Southwold again next Saturday in the League! An action packed, try-filled match that kept spectators thrilled throughout.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *